Voi Electric Scooters and Bikes
Residents and visitors in Kettering can currently hire e-scooters and e-bikes to travel around the town. E-scooters offer a safe, accessible and convenient way to move around the town.
Kettering's scooter trial is part of a wider initiative from the Department for Transport (DfT) which was accelerated as part of the response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Legislation was introduced in May 2020 to make e-scooters legal in the UK for the first time. The trial is helping to build an understanding of the role that e-scooters could play in the future across Northamptonshire and in different sized towns,
Use and access to e-scooters and e-bikes
1. Download the Voi app and register with your mobile number – Google Play or App Store .
2. Locate an available scooter nearby using the map function in the app.
3. Activate Beginner's mode if you're new to e-scooters, to start off slowly while you get used to the accelerator and brakes.
4. Scan the QR code found on the handlebar or the footpad of the scooter to unlock it.
5. Hop on the scooter and push off with your foot a few times to get it rolling before you use the throttle.
6. End your ride in the app to make the scooter available for someone else.
In the UK, you must be at least 18 years old and hold a provisional or full driving licence to ride our scooters.
Safety is paramount for this trial and users must be 18 or above and also hold a provisional or full driving license to ride an e-scooter. Before a user can unlock an e-scooter their driving licence will be checked through the smart phone app. Like cycling, a helmet is recommended, but is not mandatory. Riders are encouraged to wear a helmet and rewarded for doing so through credits. Voi have offered helmet giveaways and safety events – see https://www.voiscooters.com/ride-safe/
Members of the public can report incidents of rule breaking or poorly parked scooters directly to Voi using their Report a Scooter form.
E-Scooters – The law
It remains against the law to ride a private e-scooter on a public road or pavement.